Friday, January 24, 2014

Bitter Melon-Okra in Sesame Sauce (Bhindi-Karela Curry)!!

It had been ages since I hadn't eaten Bitter Melon. When I saw them in Indian store the other day, I could not resist myself from purchasing. I was never fond of Bitter Melon until I tasted this particular recipe and I never use to understand how people can become fond of the bitterness it has. But, I was proven wrong by my mother every time when she used to make Bitter Melon that was not bitter whatsoever :) This used to amaze me until I found out her tricks behind it. So, if you do not like bitter melon, try this way of making it and change your perspective towards Bitter Melon :x

Fantastic :)






Prep time: 15min(s) Cook time: 20min(s) Total time: 35min(s)   

Things you will need:

  1. Bitter Melon (Karela) (4 medium size, washed and sliced)
  2. Okra (Bhindi) (1.5 lbs, washed and sliced)
  3. Onion (1 medium, thinly sliced)
  4. Green Chilies (3, thinly sliced)
  5. Tomatoes (2, thinly chopped)
  6. Turmeric powder (1 tea spoon)
  7. Salt (according to taste)
  8. Red Chili powder (1/2 table spoon)
  9. Cumin-Coriander Powder (1 table spoon)
  10. Schezwan Pepper (timur) (1/2 table spoon)
  11. Fenugreek Seeds (1/2 tea spoon)
  12. Sesame Powder (3/4 cup)
Directions:
  • Sprinkle 2 table spoons salt on raw Bitter Melon (washed and sliced). Mixed it thoroughly and keep it aside for 10 mins. After 10 mins wash it well. This is the trick that milds down the bitterness.
  • Heat oil and fry fenugreek seeds until darker brown.
  •  Fry onion until it is golden brown.
  • Add bitter melon and fry until golden brown.  
  • Now add all of the above mentioned ingredients and cook it on a small to medium heat. Make sure to cover and stir it occasionally. 
  • Once the consistency becomes like curry add 3 cups of water and cook it until the liquid becomes thick.
  • DONE! Enjoy with rice or bread :)