Saturday, August 10, 2013

Chicken Choila (Requested Recipe)

Choila is a very popular dish in Nepal. It is mainly served as an appetizer course and is admired if served with local booze. Choila is served in almost every restaurant and is prepared in many households. I never was fond of choila until I discovered this way of making it. Back in Nepal, choila usually is made from boiled meat (at least what I have seen). And that is why it used to be my least favorite dish, however nowadays, it is one of my favorites :) I am very picky when it comes to meat. Those who are like me will enjoy this recipe and of course those who love meat whatsoever will love it as well :) Also, click here for Vegertarian Choila recipe. Here you go:
Voila! Choila Perfection <:-p 
 
 
 



 
Prep time: 30 min(s) Cook time: 10 min(s) Total time: 40 min(s)

Things you will need:
  • Fresh chicken breast (2.5 lbs)
  • Ginger-Garlic Paste (3 table spoons)
  • Cumin-Corriander powder (2 table spoons)
  • Chicken Curry Masala (1 table spoon)
  • Turmeric powder (2 tea spoons)
  • Red chili powder (1 table spoon)
  • Salt (according to your taste)
  • Oil (2-3 table spoons)
  • Szechuan pepper (3 table spoons)
  • Medium sized ginger (finely sliced)
  • Garlic (9-10 cloves, finely sliced)
  • 1 medium sized onion
  • 1 Serrano pepper
  • Tomatoes (4 medium sized, boiled or microwaved)
Directions:
  1. Grill chicken breast; OR:  Slightly boil chicken breast until it becomes white. Cut breast in long slices and slide it inside the oven. Make sure to preheat the oven for 20 minutes at 450 degrees. Bake chicken for 20 minutes and after this, broil it for 10 minutes. By this time, chicken should be ready for choila.
  2. Cut chicken breast or you can simply tear them in sizes you like and put it in a big bowl to make the mixture
  3. Add all of the above mentioned ingredients except tomatoes and oil
  4. Add tomatoes (after peeling) and oil on top of other ingredients and give everything a good mix
  5. DONE! Simple as that :D


15 comments:

  1. thanx bhawana i tried it....nd it was really really good....best choila recepie ever!!!..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should not add any of the cumin and coriander powder in choila..and also curry masala...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your suggestions!! As for Mustard Oil, I totally agree with you. It does makes a difference but I couldn't find Mustard Oil where I live currently. So, had to go with the alternative. As for other spices, I love playing with varieties of spices and use it only if it enhances the quality of the food. Food has no boundaries :) Coming from a Newari family, I know what and how to make authentic choila and the recipe above is the closet I could come up with :)

      Delete
  3. Also must use MUSTARD OIL....
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As per my consideration, I would highly appreciate if you had included something else, but not choila. As I have been indulge in this industry for several years and I know food has no boundaries it can be infused of anything. If you authentically speaking I don't see any of this. I reckon mustard oil is must for this recipe none other than as per mentioned.

    Mustard is the key ingredient in choila.
    And cast does not means that you know the authencity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are taking the conversation to somewhere else. I am not an expert by any means. I posted recipe of what I know. There are Nepalese like me who live foreign and may not have access to ingredients we get back home. All I can say is thank you for your suggestions!! Have a great day.

      Delete
  5. I am sorry if I have lead to you any wrong sense... :) ..just a opinion

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the recipe! The Choila came out really good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I am glad it worked out for you :)

      Delete
  7. Tried it and turned out just like the picture above. Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks 4 the recipie.i am going to make choila tonite.. but are you sure we don't need lemon??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can absolutely add Lemon. It depends how sour tomato is. But to stay on the safe side I would add few tablespoons of lemon :)

      Delete