Monday, June 23, 2014

Chatamari Recipe!! :)

Chatamari is a very popular Newari dish in Nepal. It is widely available in most of the restaurants in Kathmandu. Being from Terai region of Nepal, I had neither tasted this dish nor had I seen. I used to hear people admiring the taste but never bothered to get/make one, when I was back home. Since, these days I am trying to make myself better in cooking, I often try new dishes, while enhancing the basic ones. I was watching a documentary where they were showing Kathmandu and at the same time were describing foods available there. Chatamari was one of them! I was kinda hesitant to attempt at first but then I decided to give it a try. And turns out, this dish seriously is one of the best dishes I have ever made :) Yes my first try but definitely not the last! Here you go guys, enjoy Nepali Tummy version of Chatamari :x Also, click here for Bara Recipe.
Happy Cooking Everyone!! :)









Prep time: 6min(s) Cook time: 40min(s) Total time: 46min(s) Yield:4-5     

Things you will need:
  • Rice Flour (3 cups)
  • Eggs (6-7)
  • Ground Meat (1cup from the packet)
  • Cilantro (4 table spoons, finely chopped)
  • Cumin-Coriander Powder (1/2 table spoon)
  • Salt (according to taste)
  • Oil (4 table spoons)
  • Shredded Cheese (4 table spoons)
  • Onion (1/2 medium size, finely chopped)
  • Red chili powder (1/2 table spoon)
  • Serrano Pepper/Green Chilies (1-2, finely chopped)
  • Schezwan Pepper/Timur Powder (1/2 table spoon, Optional)
  • Ginger-Garlic Paste (1 table spoon)
  • Turmeric Powder (1 tea spoon)
Directions:
  1. On a deep dish add rice flour, and a pinch of salt. Batter should be more on the thinner side but not very watery. 
  2. On another deep dish, add ground meat, cilantro, onion, cumin-coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, schezwan pepper powder, salt, ginger-garlic paste and 3 eggs. Mix well.
  3. Heat one table spoon of oil and pour the batter. On top of batter, add meat mixture from step 2. 
  4. Break a whole egg on top. Cover and cook on a medium heat for 7-8 minutes. Do not flip. 
  5. Add 1 table spoon of cheese at the end and cover for couple of seconds, before transferring Chatamari to serving plate.
  6. Repeat the same process for remaining batter. 
  7. Chatamari is done!! Enjoy with Bhyatal (Recipe here) or Chukauni (Recipe here) >:D<